Christ: the Good shepherd
Act 2 42-47 1 Pet 2:19 – 25 John 10 1-10
- The theme introduces us to one of the many relationship we can have with the Lord.
- A shepherd and a sheep relationship
- This type of relationship is unique in a sense that it highlight salvation, spiritual nourishment and divine provision a d protection
- This relationship require intentional acknowledgment for the benefits to be realized.
- Every shepherd has his own fold he leads
Key aspect of sheep /shepherd
- The sheepfold
- Thief and robber
- The Door
- The hireling
- The pasture/ waterplace
Psalms 23 1-6
- The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
- He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me
beside the still waters.
- He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
- Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine
enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
STRONGER shepherd/ sheep
- Sacrifice John 10:11
- Trust : psa 23:4
- Responsibilty Joh. 10:12
- Obedience John 10:5
- Nearness Isa 40:11
- Gentleness Isa 40 :11
- Empathy /love/ compassion Matt 9:36, 15:32
- Recognition John 10 :4-5, 14
What a shepherd does
- Feed the flock
- Strengthen the diseased flock
- Heal the sick
- Bind those that are broken
- Go after those that are backslidden
- Seek those that are lost
- Protect the flock from preys
- Keep the fold from scattering
The bad shepherd’s of Isreal Eze
- They fed themselves and exploited the sheep
- They cause the sheep to scatter
- They made the sheep remain vulnerable to the prey
- They were indeed those who came by another way and not through the door
- They were the thieves and robbers who came to steal,
kill and destroy
- So the Lord said He would raise his own shepherd over his flock Eze 34:23
Christ the Good shepherd John
- Jesus is our example 1Pet 2:19
- He is prepared to lay down his life for the sheep
- He acquaint himself so well with the sheep that he
knows them by name and they know his voice.
- His sheep can discern the counterfeit
- He takes the Responsibilty of leading his sheep
- He defines the reality of the believer : He is the door by
which all must enter to be saved ( vrs 9)
For our compassion ministry
- Your theme sits right into this talk
- “Protecting and empowering our future role
models to be Christian advocates in the community
– the role of the social media”
- Indeed our children like the sheep are vulnerable.
Social media can make them even more vulnerable
- They require the right nurturing, feeding and guidance to grow into empowered believers
- Responsible Shepherding requires personal touch
and not remote monitoring
- Obviously social media is an intentional creation of content that may be for some junk but others a wellspring.
- The pastures don’t grow by themselves on social
media men must be intentional to create them.
- Unfortunately a lot of young minds are being formed on these platform systematically.
- The church have not been as quick as the world in creating right content for our future role models to imbibe.
- The church must therefore use this platform to reach out to those who are getting lost every day through the seducing satanic scripts that are crafted through music, comedy, popular culture and other
- So as Jesus said to Peter in John 21
- So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
- He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
- He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
Paul also admonished us in Acts
- Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
- And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified
Paul also admonished us in Acts
- Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
- For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
- Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.