Scripture Readings: Jeremiah 17:5-10, 1 Corinthians 15:12-20, Luke 6:17-20
In Him we trust, is a common phrase used by many. One may ask, who is the HIM?
We are here this morning to know who the Him is and why we should trust Him
What is Trust?
- Confident reliance on or belief in the integrity, veracity, justice, friendship, power,
protection, etc, of a person or things
- Confidence, firm expectation (that)….
- To place confidence in, to believe in, to rely upon, to believe, to have a confident hope of expectation, to commit to the care of a person, to entrust, to entrust a person with a thing.
- Trust is built (predicated) on TRUTH
- We trust somebody of good character, integrity and honesty.
- To be trustworthy means to be absolutely dependable!
- Trust develops out of bonding. It is also necessary to cement a relationship.
- Trust can be abused (and often is).In the focus text today, let’s look at some key phrases:
Who then can/ should we trust?
In the first reading from Jeremiah 17:7
Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. KJV
We are to trust in YAHWEH the maker of heaven and earth. The beginning and the end. The Alpha and Omega. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee. KJV
Isa 26:4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:KJV
Why Trust (in) God?
- Trust (in) Him because He is TRUE – He is the only true God! See Psalm 115: 3- 8
- Trust (in) Him because He is TRUTHFUL – God is not a man that He should lie – Numbers 23:19 What He says He does 1 Sam 15:29, Heb 6:18, Titus 1:2
- Trust (in) Him because He is FAITHFUL – God remains faithful even when we are not – 2 Tim 2:13 He does not renege on His promise, contract or covenant
- Trust (in) Him because He is UNCHANGEABLE – God is the same always, just as He was with Abraham so is He today – Malachi 3:6; Heb 13:8
- Trust (in) Him because He is ETERNAL – It is better to trust in God than to trust in Princes – Psalm 118:8-9; Psalm 146: 3-4
- Trust (in) Him because in Him we have – He raised his Son from the dead and he promises same to us.- 1 Cor 15
- Trust (in) Him because He is our HEALER. – He healed all the diseases that were brought to him
Governments will fail us; Institutions will disappoint us; Friends, family, colleagues will let us down – all because of human frailties. But God is not man! He does not suffer the weaknesses of humanity. So He cannot fail, let down or disappoint. Whatever he says He will do, whatever appointments He makes He keeps! Psalm 22v5 says:
“They cried to you and were saved; they trusted in you and were not disappointed (or ashamed).”
As human, we tend to trust in our understanding based on our senses; What we see, hear, feel, taste, and touch. Prov 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6 (New King James Version)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (The Message)
Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he’s the one who will keep you on track.
YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING
- At best imperfect
- At worst hopeless and disastrous
o Limited horizon (small picture)
o Selfishness and small mindedness
o Incomplete information or data points to make decision from
- Don’t depend on it
- Don’t count on it
- Don’t rely on it
We are also prone to trust in our wealth, weapons and defenses. Psalm 20:7; Isaiah 31:1
Other times we tend to place confidence in our fellow man Jeremiah 17:5
Fetish Priests, Mallams, Occultist, Wealthy relative, Prophets, Pastors or Self.
HOW should we trust God
WITH ALL YOUR HEART
- An undivided heart (a double-minded person cannot receive from God – James 1:7-8)
- Sold out for God
IN ALL YOUR WAYS
- Whatever you do
- Decisions you take
- Plans that you make (see Prov. 16:1,3)
- Recognize Him
- Defer to Him
- Submit to Him
- Let Him be the Captain of your boat and not a ‘seafarer on board’
Paraphrase (mine) – With all your heart, Trust Him; On your own understanding, lean not; In all your ways, defer to Him.
When should we trust (in) God?
Trust Him at all times whether in good season or in bad season, much more so in times of trials and
tribulations – Isa 26v4: “Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.” (NLT)
When storms assail,
Trust in the God who the winds and the sea obey when he rebukes the storm and says ‘Peace, be still’ (Mark 4:39);
When you are at the end of your tether and don’t know what next to do,
Trust in the God whose eyes “run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him” (2 Chr. 16:9);
the God who saw Hagar in her desperate state and who Hagar called the El Roi (Gen 13:16);
When your health fails,
Trust in the God who is the Jehovah Rapha (Ex 15:26), (He makes bitter things sweet)!
The God who sent his word and healed their diseases (Psalm 107: 20),
the God by whose stripes we are healed (Isa 53:5),
the God whose grace is sufficient (2 Cor. 12:9);
When you feel lonely and alone,
Trust in the God who says: “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Heb 13:5);
the God who placed the lonely in families (Ps 68:5-6).
When you are at a crossroads and don’t know which way to turn,
Trust in the God who says: “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” (Isa 30:21)
When heaven seems to be silent and the horizon seems dark, cloud and dreary,
Trust in the God who inhabits the darkness (Ex. 20:21)
The God of whom the hymn writer (Edward Mote) wrote:
“When darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
my anchor holds within the veil.
His oath, His covenant His blood,
support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.”
Note: WE LEARN THE LESSON OF TRUST IN THE SCHOOL OF TRIAL (ODB)
The Blessings of trusting (in) the Lord:
Stability (immovable, unshakeable):
Ps 125: 1-2 Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds His people from this time forth and forever.
Isa 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
Psalm 20:7-8 Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm.
Guidance and Direction:
Prov. 3:6 ..And He will direct your path
Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
Help and Defence:
Psalm 115:11 You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD; He is their help and their shield.
Protection from shame:
Romans 10:11 As the Scripture says, “Anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame.”
The Contrast of trusting in man and trusting in God:
See Jer. 17:5-8
Who should trust (in) the Lord?
9 O Israel, trust in the LORD;
He is their help and their shield.10 O house of Aaron, trust in the LORD;
He is their help and their shield.
11 You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD;
He is their help and their shield.
A companion of trust is obedience. You will obey Him if you trust Him. “Whatever he says to you, do it (John 2:5).”
May your trust be in Him and may your obedience be to Him. Amen.